Quiet Space Rules
Welcome to the Grisham Law Library! As you embark on your journey through Law School, we would like to draw your attention to an essential aspect of academic life: maintaining a quiet and focused environment in the law library. The library is not only a place for learning but also a place for deep concentration and research. To ensure a productive and respectful atmosphere for all, we kindly request your adherence to the following guidelines:
- Respect the Quiet and Silent Zones: The law library is primarily a silent study area. Please refrain from loud conversations, phone calls, or any noise that may disturb others. Keeping your voices low helps everyone to concentrate and make the most of their study time.
- Cell Phones and Devices: Silence or set your cell phones and other electronic devices to vibrate or silent mode when entering the library. If you need to take a call, please step outside or go to the student lounge located next to the reference desk to avoid disrupting those around you. This also includes if you need to have a Zoom call.
- Group Discussions: While group work is valuable, please reserve discussions for designated group study rooms or common areas. In the main library, opt for quiet collaboration using hushed voices or written communication.
- Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: Even activities that seem minor, such as loud typing, rustling papers, or tapping on desks, can be distracting. Please be mindful of how your actions may impact those nearby. Also note that sometimes lively discussions in the group study rooms can be heard from the main floor.
- Headphones and Audio: If you must use headphones or audio materials, keep the volume at a level that is only audible to you. This will prevent disturbing others and maintain a serene environment.
- Eating and Drinking: To protect library materials and preserve cleanliness, eating is generally not allowed in the library. Drinks should be in sealed containers to avoid spills. You may have snacks in the Student Lounge.
- Personal Belongings: Keep your belongings organized and confined to your study area. Avoid leaving bags, books, or other items on vacant seats for an extended period.
- Respect Library Staff: The librarians and staff are here to assist you in your academic pursuits. Show appreciation for their efforts and follow any guidance they provide.
Remember, the law library is a shared space where students seek intellectual growth and preparation for their legal careers. Being considerate of others’ needs fosters a positive environment and enhances the collective learning experience.
Failure to comply with library etiquette may result in a warning or temporary restriction from using library facilities. We trust that you will understand the significance of these guidelines and their impact on your academic success and the overall harmony of our law school community.
Thank you for your cooperation in maintaining a respectful and quiet environment in the library. We wish you the best in your legal studies!